What is Reiki? Derived from the Japanese words “rei,” meaning universal, and “ki,” meaning life energy, Reiki represents a miraculous sign or mysterious atmosphere. It is a form of energy healing, classified as alternative medicine.
When individuals experience physical or emotional pain, their energy can become stagnant, resulting in energy blocks that may lead to illness.
Energy healing focuses on maintaining the flow of energy in the body and removing energy blocks, similar to acupuncture and acupressure. Reiki therapists believe that enhancing the energy flow can promote relaxation, pain relief, accelerated healing, and alleviate symptoms of illnesses.
Reiki has been practiced for over 2,500 years. In 1922, Mikao Usui developed the most widely recognized form of Reiki known as Usui Reiki Ryoho. It is also referred to as palm healing or hands-on healing.
Reiki therapy sessions do not follow a specific protocol or have a recommended duration. The therapy can be administered by individuals who have received training. There is no specific setting requirement, but the environment should be quiet and conducive to relaxation. Reiki can provide comfort to clients in various situations, such as experiencing early flu symptoms or recovering from an injury or surgery.
If you’re attending a Reiki therapy session for the first time, you may be curious about what to expect. At Scentimental Wellness, we have prepared a blog post that delves into what to expect during a Reiki session. Keep reading to discover more information.
How to Choose a Reiki Practitioner
To ensure the best experience during Reiki therapy, it’s important to select a reliable practitioner whom you trust and who meets your standards.
The practitioner should be able to effectively describe the process, provide information about the structure of the session, and explain what will happen, allowing you to have a clear understanding of what to expect.
Keep in mind that each person’s experience of Reiki may vary, so the practitioner should take the time to explain everything during the session to help you relax and feel comfortable.
What is the Setting During a Reiki Session?
Reiki therapy is typically conducted in a quiet and dedicated setting, free from distractions or disturbances. Reiki therapists understand the importance of creating a peaceful environment. Soft music may be played in the background, but you can let the practitioner know if you prefer silence.
In a hospital or clinic setting, shorter Reiki sessions of 15 to 20 minutes are commonly offered, although sessions can also last up to 90 minutes.
Before the session begins, the client will be asked to sign a consent form, and the practitioner will explain what will take place during the session.
The practitioner may inquire about any specific needs or health conditions that could affect the client’s ability to lie flat on their back or front, as well as any areas that may be sensitive to touch. The practitioner should always ask for permission before touching the client.
What Happens During a Reiki Session?
During a Reiki session, the client remains fully clothed and is typically asked to lie down on a treatment table or sit in a comfortable chair.
Reiki is administered through light and non-invasive touch. The practitioner’s hands will be placed and held on different areas of the body, such as the head, front, and back of the torso. It’s important to note that the placement of hands should always be appropriate and respectful, and no pressure is applied.
Depending on the client’s needs, the limbs may also be included in the session, especially if there is an injury, open wound, burn, or post-surgery incision that requires attention.
What Can I Expect During a Reiki Session?
Clients often report feeling refreshed and having a clear mind after a Reiki session. Some even fall asleep during the session and wake up with their headache gone. It’s not uncommon for clients to mention that the practitioner’s hands feel hot, while others describe a deep sense of relaxation comparable to or even surpassing that of a massage.
Experiences during Reiki sessions can vary from person to person. It is a subjective, changeable, and subtle practice. Many clients feel heat emanating from the practitioner’s hands, while others may experience a cooling sensation. Some clients notice subtle pulsations where the practitioner’s hands are placed.
Comfort is a common experience reported by clients during Reiki sessions. A study found that recipients of Reiki often enter a threshold state of consciousness where they remain aware of their surroundings while deeply inwardly focused.
Some clients even enter a deep, sleeplike meditative state. Reduced stress and deep relaxation are commonly reported after a Reiki session. Clients may also notice improved digestion, a sense of being centered, and better sleep at night.
What to Do During a Reiki Session
- Request relaxing music to be played during the session. If you prefer silence, you can inform the practitioner.
- Uses the restroom before the session starts so you can lie down or sit comfortably without disrupting the session.
- Ask about the hand placements that will be made by the practitioner so you won’t be shocked when being touched and this will let you know what to expect during the session.
- Inform the practitioner of your needs before the session begins. For example, if you are not comfortable lying flat, you must inform them. If you have had an injury, open wound, burn, or recent surgery so they can avoid the affected part of the body or they can just float their hand.
- You must inform the practitioner if you are pregnant or have digestive problems so you won’t be instructed to lie on your stomach.
- If you are not comfortable, you must inform the practitioner if you need additional support on your knees or a blanket to keep you warm.
After a Reiki session, it is recommended to take care of yourself by following these steps:
- Hydrate: Drink water to replenish your body and support its natural healing process. Hydration is important for overall well-being.
- Listen to your body: Pay attention to what your body needs and provide it with the necessary rest, nourishment, and self-care. Allow yourself time to integrate the healing effects of the session.
- Notice the effects: You may experience a sense of calm, mental clarity, and overall rejuvenation after a Reiki session. Take note of any positive changes or insights that arise within you.
- Prioritize sleep: Restful sleep is essential for the body to heal and restore itself. Make sleep a priority and try to create a peaceful and relaxing environment for bedtime.
Remember that everyone’s experience after a Reiki session can be different. It’s important to honor your own needs and listen to your body as you continue to support your well-being.
How Many Reiki Sessions Should You Receive?
The traditional recommendation of Reiki practitioners is to consider receiving a series of four sessions in order to experience maximum benefits.
If you are interested in trying a Reiki session in Plano, Texas, we recommend choosing Scentimental Wellness. For any questions or inquiries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We offer a variety of products and services, including Reiki sessions, as well as essential oils and aromatherapy products. If you would like more information about our offerings, please reach out to us.
You can call us at 469-200-8236 or 903-391-4595, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Choose Scentimental Wellness and contact us today. We are here to assist you and look forward to serving you!